Steak Chili Recipe
|Steak Chili Recipe|
Makes 8 portions
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 large yellow onions chopped
2 large green bell peppers chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
2 pound top round or bottom round steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes or smaller.
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. leaf oregano
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh garlic
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
4 Tbsp. Chipotle pepper paste (comes in cans packed in adobo sauce, just puree to a fine paste)
1 cup water or stock
Salt and pepper
Chopped fresh cilantro
1. Salt and pepper meat and brown in a hot cast iron or heavy bottom pan with olive oil a little at a time, add to crock pot when done. (It does not need to be fully cooked at this point, just browned.)
2. Sautee onions in the same pan (without cleaning) 5 minutes. Add to crock-pot.
3. Sautee peppers (both colors) and add to crock-pot. Add garlic and spices to the pan and sauté about 30 seconds to 1 minute till fragrant
4. Add Chipotle paste and tomato paste and sauté a minute more, and then add some of the water or stock to the pan and stir off any brown bits (fond) from the bottom of the pan. Pour into the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients.
5. Add celery and can of tomatoes to crock pot with the rest of the water or stock and then turn on high until it comes to a light simmer. Turn down and cook for another 25-30 minutes if using top round. For bottom round cook for 1 1/2 hours total.
6. Add chopped fresh cilantro and garnish with sour cream and chopped red onions if desired.
Per portion without rice made with beef top round:
Dietary Fiber 4g